By Kelly Hearn
Monday, January 23, 2012
Argentina's Grandmothers of Plaza de Mayo think a trial now underway could reunite them with stolen grandchildren. A key ally is U.S. Rep. Hinchey, who is pushing Obama to declassify relevant documents by executive order.
The State Department in 2002 declassified 4,700 documents pertaining to the Dirty War.
Carlotto and her group's lawyers believe that one of those documents proves there was not only a systematic plan to appropriate children, but that it was sanctioned by the highest levels of power.
That document is a 1982 memo by Elliott Abrams, a former U.S. assistant secretary of state for human rights and humanitarian affairs, who is scheduled to testify here this month.
In that memo, Abrams wrote: "I raised with the ambassador the question of children in this context, such as children born to prisoners or children taken from their families during the Dirty War. While the disappeared were dead, these children were alive and this was in a sense the gravest humanitarian problem. The ambassador agreed completely and had already made this point to his foreign minister and the president. They had not rejected his view but had pointed on the problem, for example, of taking children from their adoptive parents."
Carlos Osorio, director of the Southern Cone Documentation Project at the National Security Archive at George Washington University, said in a November interview that the Abrams memo is key.
"The Grandmothers are pointing to this little nugget as evidence that declassified documents help to bring some justice in Argentina then, and thus they want to call for CIA, FBI and Pentagon declassification on Argentina," Osorio told Women's eNews.
Lawyers in the case could not be reached to answer questions about the extent to which Abrams might be grilled about the memo.
Carlotto said another document from the State Department contains a transcription of a conversation between a U.S. official and Reinaldo Bignone, the general who headed the military junta. Parts of the transcription had been edited out, she said. She added that in December the U.S. embassy in Buenos Aires provided her with the full version.
She said that in the transcribed conversation Bignone acknowledges the systematic appropriation of children. The attorney for Carlotto's group is on vacation and did not respond to a request to see the document by press time.
The outcome of the case could have enormous personal consequences for some 400 to 500 Argentines in their 20s and 30s, who the grandmothers estimate to be living under false identities here.
Many of them are unaware that their real parents were murdered and that they themselves were given to military families to raise them as their own.
Until recently, that group included Victoria Montenegro.
In 1976, as a brutal military dictatorship here was jailing, torturing and killing dissidents, she was a tiny baby.
For years, growing up in Buenos Aires, she had no idea that a young couple named Hilda Ramona Torres and Roque Orlando Montenegro were two of those presumed subversives who lost their lives. As a young adult, Montenegro learned not only that they had been her biological parents, but that the man she knew as her father, Lt. Colonel Herman Tetzlaff, had murdered them and taken her as his own daughter under the invented name, Maria Sol.
Tetzlaff admitted to his deeds in 2000.
In 2010, Montenegro, after consenting to a DNA test, finally came to terms with what happened, changing her name along the way.
Montenegro told Women's eNews that she supports Hinchey's efforts to persuade Obama to declassify the records.
"There is sufficient evidence that the CIA was keeping records at the time about the dictatorship," she said. "They can help us show that there was a systematic appropriation of children."
This trial is just one of several seeking to document human rights abuses during the military dictatorship.
The trials began in 2007 after then-Argentine President Nestor Kirchner overturned two key amnesty laws that had long kept military officials from being prosecuted. As a result of the court cases, 802 military officials, police and civilians people have been indicted for crimes against humanity, and 243 have been found guilty, according to a report by the Argentine attorney general's office
Fourteen trials are currently underway, and 10 more are set to start this year.
Not all Argentines are in favor of the trials.
Jorge Cadera, a 33-year-old taxi driver from Buenos Aires, echoed the sentiments of many when he said the country should look forward, not back.
"What does it help to bring the past up?" he asked. "With everything there is to fix, it doesn't make sense to cause these problems. We should move on."
Would you like to Comment but not sure how? Visit our help page at http://www.womensenews.org/help-making-comments-womens-enews-stories.
Would you like to Send Along a Link of This Story?
Kelly Hearn is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in publications including The Washington Post, National Geographic News, The Christian Science Monitor and Yale 360.
Hinchey Asks Obama to Declassify Information on Human Rights Violations of Argentine Military Dictatorship:
By Christen A. Smith and Alysia Mann Carey
By Joanna Englehardt and Jennifer Keys Adair
By Tatyana Bellamy-Walker
By Chandani Jayatilleke
By Zoe Alsop
By Louisa Reynolds
By Alana Chloe Esposito